These instructions are for the original MagicBand, otherwise known as the MagicBand 1.0 As of January 2017, new or just-renewed Passholders and resort guests are now receiving the MagicBand 2.0 as their complimentary MagicBand. However, the original style is still in circulation and can be purchased online at the Disney Store, or in any gift shop found in the Walt Disney World resorts, parks, or Disney Springs. The battery life on all MagicBands is estimated at 2 to 3 years. As long as you have not deactivated a MagicBand from your ‘My Disney Experience’ account, the band will continue working for you across countless trips.
SIZING: One size fits all
All current styles of MagicBands come sized for adults, with a dark gray extension around the colored center of the band. This dark gray portion is perforated and will ‘break away’ from the colored portion to create a smaller wristband suitable for kids or adults with slender wrists. Applying decals to the small MagicBands requires a small modification. Click on the link above for instructions.
Step 1. Gather what you need, make sure your wrist band is clean and dry. Even if your wrist band is coming straight out of the box, there could be oil or a micro-fine powdery residue from the manufacturing process. Rubbing alcohol works great, which will remove any dirt or oil and dries super fast. You can also use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer (one that doesn’t have glitter or moisturizing beads in it), or mild soap and water. Make sure your band is completely dry before applying your decal.
For child-sized wrist bands, you may need scissors and/or a push pin or trading pin.
Step 2. Lay your decal flat next to your wrist band to determine how close to the center of your band you need to start application to ensure there is no overlap at the end of your band.
Step 3. Warm up your decal and wristband with a hair dryer, 10 to 20 seconds on medium heat. If you don’t have a hair dryer available, hold the decal between your palms for a minute or two to make sure it’s nice and warm.
Peel one half of your decal from the backing paper. Starting in the center, about 1/8″ from the mouse-shaped icon, carefully press down with your finger or thumb, leaving the other end of the decal loose.
Step 4. Hold down a portion of the decal closest to the center of your wrist band using your thumb. Grab the other end of the decal and pull firmly downward, centering the alignment of your decal as you pull and press. The vinyl has a bit of stretch to it, so be careful not to stretch too far. You can quickly lift and try again if you don’t get it perfect the first try.
Step 5. Smooth the decal down and from the center out using your fingers to remove any air bubbles or creases. Take care towards the center of the wristband where it curves away from the Mickey icon, wrinkles happen here easily.
Step 6. Repeat on the other half of your wrist band.
All Disney MagicBands come sized for adults, with a dark gray extension around the colored center of the band. This dark gray portion is perforated and will ‘break away’ from the colored portion to create a smaller wristband suitable for kids or adults with slender wrists.
Some decal shops have pre-cut holes in their decal design. I’ve opted NOT to do this for a few reasons:
- It detracts from the overall design. The personalized MagicBands you can purchase from D-Tech kiosks in the parks apply your name over the side of the MagicBand with holes, and it’s JUST NOT ATTRACTIVE.
- Many of my customers mix-and-match different designs, rather than choosing the same design for both sides of their MagicBand. I’ve designed all of my decals to be the exact same size so that you can apply it to either side of your wrist band without any guesswork. Unlike decals from other shops, my decals do not cover up the mouse-shaped icon end of the MagicBand.
- While Disney is the ultimate family vacation destination, there are actually far more adults who visit the parks than children. For that reason, I have designed my decals to fit on adult-sized wristbands without modification, or the need for pre-cut closure holes. However, you CAN apply them to smaller wrist bands by following the application instructions below.
Now, on to the application tips for Small MagicBands!
Small-sized bands will overlap the decal where the ball-post snap closure is located. There are a few options for the area where the wristband closes.
Option 1: Poke holes.
Although not the most attractive option, this is the easiest for someone on vacation when scissors.
Step 1A: Once you have applied your MFB decal to a child-sized wrist band, check sizing on your child’s wrist to determing where the ball-posts and holes will come together. Press the ball-posts into the decal area where you want the band to close, creating an indentation in the decal.
Step 1B: Using something sharp such as a trading pin. thumb tack, or an earring, poke holes through the decal where the wrist band will close.
Option 2: Trim the decal.
Cut off the tail end of one decal just before the area where the wristband overlaps and closes. The cut decal end is hidden when the wrist band is closed.
Glitter decals are cut from an outdoor-grade vinyl that is a touch thinner than my printed designs. They are still extremely durable and waterproof. These decals come with a removable translucent transfer tape on top. The transfer tape will help apply your decal without any wrinkles. Occasionally there will be a little bubble or crease in the transfer tape, which is removed during application and will not affect the decal beneath.
- As always, make sure your wrist band is clean and dry.
- Remove 1 decal piece from the white backing paper, with the transfer tape still in tact on top.
- Start in the center, roughly 1/8″ from the center of the mouse icon.
- Gently smooth your fingers in a downward direction.
- Rub, rub, rub to ensure your decal is stuck all over.
- Carefully remove the transfer tape and discard.
- Rub, rub, rub again. Friction and heat will help your decal stay stuck.
- Repeat on the opposite side of your band.
Refer to the application tips above for how to apply a decal to a small wristband (child-sized)
Most decals are easily removed by just lifting an edge with your finger nail, and peeling in one swift motion. Printed decals generally peel off in one piece. Glitter decals may tear during removal. Using a hair dryer to heat up your decal can help aid in removal. Any adhesive left behind comes off easily with rubbing alcohol or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer gel.